Wednesday, July 12, 2006

An End to Race Based Fisheries?

This is a bit of an issue for me. Out here in B.C. we've had a bit of a problem with our salmon stocks. For a while, absolutely no fishing was allowed, then it was decided that some commerical fishing would be allowed. It was at this point that the DFO amongst others came up with the fanastic idea of native-only fishing. This was intended to be used for ceremonial purposes only. But gradually more and more of the salmon was being sold.

I oppose this policy just because of the idea of a race-based fisheries bothers me. I don't believe that any one group of fisherman should be allowed to earn a living while another goes without. Especially because that one group is chosen solely on the basis of their race.

Well it appears that Stephen Harper agrees with my views, Canada.com has a story about his plan. This has also been a reason I support my MP, John Cummins, because of his work in bringing attention to this issue.

Not much in the media and/or blogs yet, but I expect this while be getting quite a bit of press in the comings days and months ahead. I can only hope that they are successful. Stay tuned for updates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker