Saturday, February 11, 2006

So, Harper has named his new cabinet and surprise, surprise, there is already controversy. Namely with David Emerson and Michael Fortier. The appointment of Fortier to Senate and giving him a cabinet post is not that big a deal, in my opinion. There is ample precedent for this type of situation, especially when it comes to balanced representation in Cabinet. The conservatives seem to be the only ones that have a huge problem with this one.

The bigger problem is with the appointment of David Emerson. The whole situation smacks of political oppurtunism. Unfortunately for Emerson, I think most of peoples disgust is going to be focused on him and not the Conservatives. The party can always use the representation reason to deflect criticism. And I find that I partially agree with it. Vancouver is one of the big three cities in Canada, and I think we need someone voicing our concerns in Cabinet. But for Emerson, it's really starting to look like he went against the wishes of his constituents. Especially since the conservative guy in his riding finished a pretty distant 3rd. I'm not sure if he should resign yet, but I am starting to lean that way, the more I learn about the situation.


And now for something completely different....

Why the hell can't the Canucks be the goddamn St. Louis Blues? They are the worst team in the league (or maybe its Pittsburgh this week, anyways whatever). I hate to say it, but if this team doesn't sharpen up and fast, they're gonna have yet another disappointing playoff run again. And then I think they are going to start losing fans. Not me, but I know that some people are starting to get turned off by them. Especially the fact that they don't seem to be playing with any heart.

Well at least I can watch two teams with a ton of heart for the two weeks. The Canadian men and womens teams. GO CANADA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker